Přejít k obsahu

A short history of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering

Until the founding of the University in 1991, the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering together with the Faculty of Electrical Engineering formed the College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (VŠSE) in Pilsen. It is one of the oldest of the University's faculties. It is located on a new campus which was opened in 1992 in Bory, Pilsen. Students have lecture halls, laboratories, departments and the Dean's Office all in one complex, with a refectory and modern sports hall equipped with weight training facilities.

A brief outline of the development of the Faculty:

1949

VŠSE in Pilsen founded as part of ČVUT , Prague

27. 6. 1950

Various government changes to the organization of colleges of further education:

  • 1st September, 1950 set up:

    • College of Engineering, Ostrava
    • College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering in Pilsen (VŠSE)
    • College of Chemistry, Pardubice

The head of each of these colleges was a dean and faculty commission. A dean's office was set up to administer the colleges.

27. 11. 1953

Various government changes to the organization of colleges of further education:

  • The Rector and the college commission was made the head of the College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering in Pilsen . The Dean's Office at this college was renamed the Rector's Office.

1954/1955

The origin of the nine semester course of study (including diploma thesis modified to ten semesters).

1960

Division of the college into the Mechanical Engineering Faculty and Electrical Engineering Faculty (government decree no. 120/1960 Sb.)


The first deans of the new faculties were:

at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Prof.Ing. J.Bukovský, D.C.Ae.

and at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Prof. Ing. Dr. E. Langer, DrSc.

At the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, the following fields were prioritized:

Engineering technology was focused on machining and forming, and power system engineering concentrated on heat turbines and turbocompressors and later on nuclear power systems. In the area of manufacturing machines, emphasis was placed on the construction and control of machining and forming machines. Two fields were established at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering: heavy current electrical engineering and cybernetics.

28.9.1991

The legal codification of the University of West Bohemia in Pilsen.

September 1992

First department of FST moved to the new Bory campus

September 1993

The Dean's Office moved to Bory.

Listina FST - scan

Patička